Over-the-Top (OTT) TV and streaming audio content, delivered via Connected Televisions (CTV), mobile devices and smart speakers, have rapidly evolved into viable paid media platforms. Three out of every four U.S. homes have access to Connected TV, and more U.S. homes have a CTV device than have a cable box. The story is similar for streaming audio with over 60% of the U.S. population – 169 million individuals – listening to streaming audio weekly1. With the rapid growth of OTT and streaming audio content, political advertisers are considering how to best use these channels to reach and engage their target voters.
- CTV will be essential to reach key demographic segments including young voters, upper-income households and multicultural audiences in 2020. These cohorts are over-represented among the growing legion of cord cutters and cord nevers, which means up to 40% are effectively unreachable via linear TV2. Voters under the age of 35 spend more time listening to streaming audio than terrestrial radio3.
- CTV and streaming audio enable targeting on political interests and behaviors, such as party membership, past voting behavior and issue orientation for more effective advertising reach and messaging.
- The ability to tailor campaign geography to voting districts is an unsung advantage of streaming media for political campaigns. Streaming media campaigns can be configured to neighborhoods, municipal boundaries, congressional districts, and state borders so that every impression lands within the relevant election zone of registered voters.
Recent presidential elections have coincided with the rise of new digital platforms that played a pivotal role in reaching voters and deciding outcomes: search starting in 2004, social from 2008 and online display in 2012. In 2016, political advertisers spent more on digital video than cable TV. Streaming media is poised to be the game-changing platform in 2020.
To read more about How Political Campaigns Can Leverage A New Media Platform, click here.
To learn more about advanced audience targeting and cross-device measurement for political and issue campaigns for Connected TV and Over-The-Top TV, click here.
1. The Infinite Dial 2019 (Edison Research and Triton Digital)
2. eMarketer July 2019, Tru Optik
3. Audio Monitor U.S. 2018